Avoiding Plagiarism: Links
Academic Phrasebank: Referring to Sources
- The University of Manchester's Academic Phrasebank is a useful resource for academic writing. This section lists suggests different ways of referring to sources and will help you remember to use your sources
Turnitin - The Plagiarism Spectrum
- In 2016, the plagiarism detection software company Turnitin surveyed educational instructors for the most common types of plagiarism. The results were released in a white paper entitled 'The Plagiarism Spectrum', which give examples of the 10 most common forms of plagiarism according to survey respondents.
Plagiarism - How to Avoid It
- Clear, concise and engaging short video explaining plagiarism and how to avoid it.
Et Plagieringseventyr (A Plagiarism Carol)
- A light-hearted video, loosely based on Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, by the University of Bergen, highlighting the dangers of plagiarism. Subtitles required.
When Life Gives You Lehman
- A webcomic about plagiarism. Don't be like Marisol!
Goblin Threat Plagiarism Game
- Destroy goblins by answering questions about plagiarism; from Lycoming College, Pennsylvania
Deterring Plagiarism: Some Strategies
- From the University of Toronto, some advice for tutors on reducing the risk of plagiarised assignments
- Turnitin sponsored site supporting the education community with resources for students and teachers
Examples of Paraphrasing Without Plagiarising
- Good examples of how to paraphrase both sentences and paragraphs
Academic Paraphrasing Skills
- Paraphrasing exercises (some free, some requiring payment) from a site aiming to help students write better academic English
Irish Tech News: 9 Best Ways to Avoid Plagiarism in Your Essays
- Some plainly written suggestions to help you avoid plagiarism (#8 use a checker, isn't recommended; online plagiarism checkers are not useful).
Summarising, Paraphrasing and and Quoting: A Guide to Doing it Right!
- A video from a US community college library on avoiding plagiarism by summarising, paraphrasing or quoting correctly.