- Webwise promotes the autonomous, effective, and safer use of the internet by young people
What data are tech companies collecting from you?
- Infographic from True People Search summarising the privacy policies of large tech companies in terms of what data they collect on you.
Get Safe Online
- Get Safe Online is a public / private sector partnership supported by leading organisations in banking, retail, internet security and other sectors
Citizen's Information: Online safety for adults and children
- Explains some of the risks and dangers of going online, and how you can keep yourself and your child safe.
How to Avoid Online Scams
- Some advice on online (and offline) scams and how to avoid them
I've Been Caught Out by an Online Scam - What Should I Do?
- Garda advice on what to do if you think you've been caught out
Introduction to cyber security: stay safe online
- A free course from the Open University that will help you to understand online security and start to protect your digital life
Cybersecurity For Dummies Cheat Sheet
- Common scams and some straightforward tips on how to keep yourself safe online
Electronic Frontier Foundation
- A non-profit organisation defending digital privacy, free speech, and innovation
10 Reasons Why Privacy Matters
- A good summary of why privacy is important
Real Online Privacy for Beginners: 60+ Essential Tips and Warnings
- All kinds of tips to help you reclaim your privacy online
Price Discrimination: Shopping Expert's Tips On How To Avoid Online Retailers' Tricks
- Some methods you can use to avoid dynamic pricing
- Panopticlick will analyse how well your browser and add-ons protect you against online tracking techniques. It also examines whether your system is uniquely configured—and thus identifiable—even if you are using privacy-protective software
Tom's Guide: Best Anti-Virus Software 2020
- Tom's Guide is a high quality technology site. This is the anti-virus software that they recommend.
Have I Been Pwned
- Check to see if your email address is registered on a website that has been hacked (and it really is spelled "Pwned"). The same site compiles an ongoing list of websites that have been hacked
TechRader: Best Password Managers for 2020
- TechRadar's (a consumer technology news and review site) guide to the best free and paid password managers of 2020
- LastPass is an excellent password manager whose free version is recommended
The Top 200 Worst Passwords of 2019
- A list of the 200 most popular passwords that were leaked in data breaches in 2019. If you use one of these, then go and stand in the corner wearing a dunce's cap. And then change your passwords!
CNet: Strong passwords: 9 rules to help you make and remember your login credentials
- Advice on how to create and manage better passwords
Irish Computer Society: 11 Signs That You Have Been Hacked
- 11 signs that your device has been hacked and what to do about it
Google Privacy Checkup
- Access and control privacy settings on your Google account and adjust what information you make public and what data Google can use
- PrivacyTools provides services, tools and knowledge to protect your privacy against global mass surveillance
- uBlock Origin is a highly recommended fast and efficient general purpose blocker that can block ads,tracking cookies malware and other annoyances. NB: It is nothing to do with uBlock which is different software
- HTTPS Everywhere is a browser extension that automatically makes websites use the more secure https protocol for transferring data, so encrypting the data that you send to websites
- Both simple and detailed comparisons of over 150 different VPN providers
A Beginner's Guide To Online Privacy: 12 Important Tips
- Top online do’s and don’ts both individuals and businesses should follow to improve their privacy
The Verge Guide to Online Privacy and Security
- The Verge is an American technology news website. This is a more detailed guide to online privacy and security.
How to Manage Your Social Media Privacy Settings
- A comprehensive guide to improving your privacy on a number of social media platforms (archived version)
How to Manage Your Privacy Setting for Social Media
- Another good guide, with images.
How to Recognize Suspicious Applications and Improve Mobile Cybersecurity
- Here are five tips on how you can recognize suspicious applications
How to Avoid Installing Junk Programs When Downloading Free Software
- Simple guide to avoiding junk apps and malware when you're downloading and installing apps from the web
11 Privacy Oriented Alternative Search Engines To Google
21 Settings to Change in Windows 10 to Reclaim Your Privacy (2020 Guide)
- If you don't want Google keeping track of what you searching for, then here are some search engines that do not track you
- A tour of Windows 10 private settings that show you which settings to change to best protect your personal info
Restore Privacy: 7 Secure Browsers to Protect Your Privacy and Stay Safe
- Restore Privacy is an independent group of privacy enthusiasts. These are their recommendations on secure browsers that are also good for privacy
ProPrivacy: The Ultimate Firefox Privacy & Security Guide
- ProPrivacy is a privacy education and review site. This a comprehensive guide to configuring Firefox to optimise security and privacy