Open Educational Resources: Finding OERs and Copyright-Free Content
Remember, if you see something that you like but is not quite what you're looking for, then you can think about adapting it - editing it or revising it to better fit your needs.
BC Open Textbooks
- A collection of open textbooks managed by the University of British Columbia, freely available to use and adapt. The collection includes FET equivalent textbooks, including a trades collection intended for use by apprentices.
- Non-profit online educational resource project based at the University of California Davis.
- A charitable corporation set up by Rice University (USA) providing good quality, peer-reviewed, openly licensed college textbooks that are free online
Open Textbook Library
- A growing catalogue of free, peer-reviewed, and openly-licensed textbooks managed by the University of Minnesota
- Pressbook is a publishing platform used to create OER textbooks. This is a directory of all (nearly 2000) CC licenced and public domain books.
Saylor Academy Textbooks
- A collection of open textbooks provided by Saylor Academy, a non-profit organisation offering free and open online courses
California Open Online Library for Education (COOL4Ed)
- State-backed effort to reduce the cost of tertiary education by creating open textbooks and course materials
- Educational material from of all MIT's undergraduate and postgraduate courses, freely and openly available to everyone through a Creative Commons licence
- A public digital library of open educational resources. Includes a career and technical education section.
Open Course Library
- Free and open learning materials and program support materials for job-driven workforce development
- A collection of OERs from leading colleges and universities available to educators and students around the world
OER Search Engines and other tools
AIT OER Subject Index
- A growing list of OERs classified by subject and managed by AIT Library
Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources (CCCOER) - Finding OERs
- A listing of different OER (and OA) repositories
Major OER Repositories
- A growing collection of OER and other related resources maintained as a Padlet board (don't forget to scroll right!)
The Mason OER Metafinder (MOM)
- A search engine covering 18 different OER sources
- Another search engine for OERs. A neat feature is being able to enter the ISBN of a textbook and MERLOT will search for an OER equivalent.
- Openly Available Sources Integrated Search (OASIS) is a search tool that aims to make the discovery of OERs easier
- A video describing strategies to search for OERs
Copyright Free Content
How to find free-to-use images with Google Search
- For when you need to find images that you can use, share, or modify.
Bing: Filter images by license type
BBC Sound Effects
- These 16,000 BBC Sound Effects are made available by the BBC in WAV format to download for use under the terms of the RemArc Licence. The Sound Effects are BBC copyright, but they may be used for personal, educational or research purposes, as detailed in the license.
Creative Commons Image Search
- Search over 500 million openly licensed images
- DALL-E is an AI system that can create realistic images and art from a description in natural language
Flickr Creative Commons
- Flickr is a photo and image sharing archive. This is a link to content available under Creative Commons licences
- 21,000+ Free Stock Photos in 89 searchable categories. Free of charge for both commercial and personal use under an attribution license
Internet Archive Stock Footage
- Stock video footage intended for use in other videos and licensed under a variety of licenses or are in the public domain
- Over 400,000 high quality, high resolution photos. Free for commercial use. No attribution required.
- A free-to-use website for sharing photos, illustrations, vector graphics, film footage and music
- A YouTube channel of royalty-free music and sound effects
- Unsplash is a stock photograph site which uses a licence that allows users to "copy, modify, distribute and use the photos for free, including commercial purposes, without asking permission from or providing attribution to the photographer or Unsplash" Update: Unsplash has been acquired by Getty Images who have added "Unsplash+" photos, which require a subscription.
Vimeo: Creative Commons
- Browse Creative Commons licensed videos on Vimeo. Note that you can also filter your Vimeo (and YouTube) searches to include only Creative Commons-licenced videos.
- A database of media files (images, sound, video) that are freely available for use with attribution
Wikipedia Public Domain Images Sources
- A Wikipedia page listing sources of public domain images on the web. CAVEAT: the presence of a resource on this list does not guarantee that all of the images in it are in the public domain and you will need to check individual licencing information