Information Sources: Links & Resources
Choosing & Using Sources: A Guide to Academic Research
- Free ebook with a good section on different kinds of information sources
- Search the world's most comprehensive index of full-text books
Irish Best Seller Lists - Writing.ie
- Complied from point of sale data supplied by Nielsen BookScan
Libraries Ireland Catalogue
- Search the combined catalogues of Public Library services in the Republic of Ireland - over 12 million times.
National Library of Ireland Catalogue
- Search the National Library of Ireland's catalogue. The National Library is a legal deposit library, which means it is entitled to receive a copy of every book published in the Republic of Ireland. Note that all books re for reference use only.
- Worldcat is a "union catalogue" that combines the catalogues of over 15,000 different libraries from over 100 different countries.
- An online bookshop, library and archive of publications authored by EU institutions such as the European Commission, European Parliament, Council of the EU, EU agencies and other bodies
Google Custom Search: Think Tanks
- Use this customised Google search engine to search across 300 of the most important US and international think tanks
Google Custom Search: Non-Governmental Organisations
- Searches international non-governmental organization
- A search portal for European grey literature.
Resources in Grey Literature
- A list of some grey literature resources which will give you an idea of the types of materials involved
- Search grey literature sources from around the world
Directory of Open Access Journals
- An online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access (that is, free to access), peer-reviewed journals
- A directory of journal publishers
Scimago Journal Rankings
- A ranking of journals based on their influence. You can take these rankings with a large pinch of salt, but the number of journals included should give a feel for the number journals published throughout the world
There is no equivalent to the magazine and newspaper directories listed below; individual publishers maintain their own published journal lists - e.g
Libraries Ireland - eMagazines
- The e-magazine service Libby offers full-colour, interactive digital magazines. To sign in, select your library service, click on emagazines and follow the prompts to find your library and sign in with your library card number and PIN.
Wikipedia - Last of Magazines in Ireland
- A long, though incomplete list of current and defunct magazines published in Ireland
World Magazines Online
- Directory of world magazines sorted by country, state, and covering a wide range of topics
- An extension of Google News, this provides free and searchable access to scanned archives of newspapers.
Libraries Ireland - Online Newspapers
- Use your library card to access the PressReader site. Click on the login icon on the top right and click on Library or Group. Type your library service in the search bar and click on it. Finally enter your library card number to login
- An online newspaper directory for the world with thousands of newspapers listed by country and region
101 Useful Websites
- Not the most useful websites, as indicated by the page, but a nice collection of sites that show the breadth of material available on the web
- Curlie is a web directory, an ordered list of websites by category. If you search for "chess" on a search engine, you will get a list of websites that have the word "chess" in them. A web drectory sorts websites into groups by topic. Searching a web directory for "chess" will get you websites about chess.
- A non-profit freely accessible library of digital and digitised materials, including websites, software applications/games, music, movies/videos, moving images and books. It is also the home of the Wayback Machine (below)
Irish Web Archive
- Web archiving involving taking a snapshot of a website at a particular point in time and preserving it for future access. The National Library of Ireland is creating an archive of Irish websites. This link is to websites collected from 2018 and arranged into collections
Time: The 15 Most Influential Websites of All Time
- Time Magazine's list of the websites that most influenced the development of the web, and why
- An archive of over 500 billion web pages that allows users to look as websites as they were at different points in the past.
- Find information on any domain name or website, including the contact address, email and phone number of the website owner