Academic Video Online: About
Academic Video Online (AVON) is product offered by Alexander Street who are a part of ProQuest. ProQuest is a large American information provider. ProQuest provides access to content used in teaching, learning and research, including scholarly journals, dissertations, ebooks, newspapers, periodicals, and historical collections.
ProQuest is not a publisher. Instead, it is what is known as an aggregator. Aggregators provide access to content created by publishers. Everything available on ProQuest has been published elsewhere, ProQuest collects material from different publishers and makes it available on one platform, such as AVON and Education Database. The problem with aggregators, however, is that content can change over time. Publications can go from full-text to abstract only to being removed from the platform all together. This doesn't happen very often but it's important to note that it can happen.
Academic Video Online, as mentioned above, is a product offered by Alexander Street, who are part of ProQuest.You can access Academic Video Online in two different ways:
Details on how to access the two different interfaces can be found on the Access page
Academic Video Online
AVON gives users access to over 70,000 videos covering a multitude of subject areas including, but not limited to
- Business & Economics
- LGBT Studies
- Media Studies
The collection represents content from over 800 leading distributors, producers, and filmmakers. Some of the top names include
- Bloomberg Media Distribution
- Documentary Educational Resources (DER)
- Royal Shakespeare Company
A wide variety of videos can be found on this platform including
- TV programmes
- Training Vdeos
A Word of Warning
As mentioned above, ProQuest is an aggregator of content, which means it buys in videos from elsewhere, it does not produce its own videos. so note the following:
- AVON's content while huge, may not guarantee that there is anything suitable for the course you are studying or teaching.
- Related to this, AVON is aimed at both Higher and Further Education, so content may not be at the appropriate level.
- Content, while updated on a regular basis, is some areas may be outdated and for some disciplines, outdated content may be worse than no content
- ProQuest is an American company and many of its video providers are American...
- Consequently Irish content my be thin on the ground