Literacy Resources: ESOL Resources
Activities for ESL Students
- A project of The Internet TESL Journal,quizzes, tests, exercises and puzzles for English as a Second Language learners
BBC: Learning English
- Offering free audio, video and text materials to learners around the world.
British Council: Excellence Gateway - ESOL Nexus
- Free website from the British Council with videos, listening activities, texts and grammar exercises for ESOL learners at every level. This website will be closing in spring 2023 with some content moving to a new platform. If there are resources on this website that you wish to keep using please download and save a copy.
English for You
- A site for learning English specially made for ESL / EFL students in their first years of study.
English My Way
- A resource for tutors who support and teach adults with no or low levels of English
English Writing Tips
- This is a Moodle course developed by GRETB that is suitable for native English speakers and advanced ESOL learners looking to improve their English writing skills. The course can be copied and/or copied and repurposed for use in another ETB with attribution to GRETB. Short introductory video:
To use the course in Moodle:
- Download the file (click the icon)
- Log into your Moodle Site
- Open a Moodle course
- As a teacher or admin, select the gear icon on the right hand side of the course window and select 'Restore'
- Choose the Moodle course backup file or drag and drop into the file upload area and once the file has uploaded select 'Restore'
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select 'Continue'
- Locate or search for the category you want to restore the course into, select it and select 'Continue'
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select 'Next'
- You have an opportunity to rename the course name and course short name and course start date or leave as is
- Select 'Next'
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select 'Perform Restore'
- Wait for the restore process to complete and select 'Continue'
You have now successfully restored the course and are ready to enrol teachers and learners
- Site that aims to hep ESOL students improve their understanding of English. Read and listen to novels, short stories and essays.
ESL Listening Lab
- Quizzes, games and listening activities
- UK site providing free digital resources for learning and teaching English
ESOL Materials Ireland
- A resource bank for Irish-themed ESOL materals, free to download and use in class
- A set of apps developed by Cambridge Assessment English to practice and improve English language skills
Extra English Practice
- Short videos on learning English, covering grammar, listening, speaking, pronunciation and vocabulary
Headway Beginner English (4th edition)
- Headway by Oxford University Press is an English language course tailored to English language students. This is their beginner course
Learn English - Free Online Course for Beginners
- A series of courses from a site aimed at English language teachers looking for lesson ideas to use in the classroom, and adult learners who want to study English independently.
Learn English Online
- The Learn English Network is a not-for-profit organisation registered in the UK. Their site contains resources including help with listening skills and pronunciation, along with sections on the basics of English, spelling, grammar and activities such as games, tests and quizzes
- Quizzes, word games, word puzzles, proverbs, slang expressions, anagrams, a random-sentence generator and other computer assisted language learning activities (American)
MSLETB YouTube Channel
- Many ESOL videos for basic learners on this channel (with thanks to Lorcan McNamee)
NALA: The Big Picture
- Materials and Resources for ESOL tutors, ranging in level from beginner ESOL learners, through to exercises for higher-level learners.
Quiz Your English
- Another app developed by Cambridge Assessment English to practice and improve English language skills
Scottish Qualifications Authority ESOL Literacy Resources (National 2)
- ESOL resources at SQA level National 2. Learners at this level will have little or no previous knowledge of English but will be
familiar with Roman script. Other SQA level resources are available from the SQA site
Skills Workshop: ESOL Resources
- A collection of ESOL resources for learners and teachers
Trinity College London ESOL Skills for Life - levels and resources
- A collection of sample exam papers from Trinity's ESOL courses, ranging from entry level to Cambridge IELTS 6.5 equivalent
- A general ESOL site hosting a large collection of tools & resources for learners and teachers